Image Map

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Heebie Jeebies and a FREEBIE!

So today, our second day back after break, and THREE kids in my class went home with LICE.   L-I-C-E. 

I have a serious issue with lice.   I know people get it,  I know it is not a huge deal, but OMG! I don't deal with it well, I always think I have it,  I feel them biting my head,  I know they are there.  Our poor school nurse doesn't even question me anymore,  she just starts seperating my hair and checking my roots.  I have trouble sleeping, I end up dying my hair even when I don't need it, I scratch my head until it bleeds.  I HAVE NEVER HAD IT.  But this happens to me everytime.  It is crazy, and I own that.  It one of my issues.  

But right now,  I am not that crazy.  I bought this spray right before Christmas, and it is bringing me a little peace of mind.   It is all natural,  mint spray that is supposed to repel lice.  Even if it doesn't - I still believe it might, so it is keeping me off the ceiling.  I have a little bottle in my purse and the big one in my classroom.  I used it a LOT today.   Like, I smelled like a pack of gum, lot... but I feel like I am going to sleep tonight - so SCORE!  I found this brand of spray at Great Clips when my boys were getting their hair cut.  The little bottle was $5 and the large one was $14...but really a bargain at any price if you ask me!



 
 
In other news,  we did a really fun little activity today, so I wanted to share.   In social studies, we are talking about inventors, inventions, timelines, and how things change over time.  We introduced the topic today,  so I looked up a bunch of pictures of phones through the decades, and blew them up and printed them off.  We sat down in a circle and scattered the pictures in the middle.   I didn't give the kids a lot of directions,  I just told them to put the pictures in order from oldest to newest.   After they finished telling each other how much they all wanted an iPhone 5 and everyone they knew who has one, they got to it.   It was Ah-mazing y'all.   They made some mistakes to start out but they talked it out.   Things like - "these two don't have numbers on them so they were probably first", and "first they dialed, then pushed buttons, now we tap".  They LOVED the big ol' "car phone".   It was great.  Then I asked them what they would have used the first phones for.   They REALLY had to think about it.   They couldn't use them to text, to check out facebook... it looked difficult  to use, and they figured they would have to sit still to use them, so they decided they probably didn't use them for much except emergencies.  After they finished,  I gave groups of kids topics like cars, washing machines, airplanes, stereos, computers, sewing machines etc. and had them go look up photos of them through the years.  It was so loud in my room - they were all shouting, "Come look at this" and "You have to see this!".   I loved it.   They are working on Powerpoints or Prezis to show the progression over time.  After we get through the pictures,  I am going to have them try to explain why they would have changed. It was such a fun way to start this unit.  I have put up the phone pictures if you would like to use them go get 'em here... http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREEBIE-Phones-through-the-Ages .
 
 

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I just had a parent tell me today that her daughter went home with LICE yesterday. We have only been in school 2 days and Wham! Lice attack. I promised her that first thing tomorrow we are all marching to the nurse's office and getting our hair checked- including mine.The problem in my school is that kids don't get sent home. A note gets sent home informing the parents and letting them know how to take care of the problem but the student has to continue attending school.
    On a different note, you did not tell us how your kids reacted to your cute hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! We have a no nit policy...so even one nit gets them sent back home. I would lose it if they stayed! My kids Loved the hedgie! She was very shy, but today she ventured out a little! I will post an update tomorrow. We are going to try to get her in the exercise ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! We have a no nit policy...so even one nit gets them sent back home. I would lose it if they stayed! My kids Loved the hedgie! She was very shy, but today she ventured out a little! I will post an update tomorrow. We are going to try to get her in the exercise ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the phones through the years activity. We are reading a book called "Computers Then and Now". This will be the perfec companion! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete