Image Map

Monday, October 15, 2012

Ever notice that there is no such thing as a "lawyer" supply store?

My bestie Sara and I have talked this over a million times,  we have even considered writing a book telling the "truths" of teaching - sort of a precautionary tale for teachers in training.  Things  like,  you have to buy your own EVERYTHING.....pens and pencils, scissors, and staplers and pencil sharpeners and stuff to decorate your walls, classroom books and games for the kids in your class to play. Half the time we even end up buying the kids basic supplies because their families are not able.   So much stuff in fact,  that there are complete stores and websites and catalogs full of stuff for us to buy for our classrooms.   Can you imagine a lawyer supply store?  What would they buy?  I can't imagine lawyers buy their own file folders and pens.  I won't even get started on the other things they leave out of teacher training...  But still I love it.   I mean it,  I really love my job - not everything about it,  not all day or every day,  but most of the time I love it. 

Teaching can be lonely business though.   We are in a classroom all day by ourselves with a group of children.  Sometimes I catch myself talking to myself under my breath.  Sometimes I just wish someone else could witness how ridiculous my days are (like how many times I have to ask someone to stop chewing their hair, or shredding their own shirt, or how we tried to revive a snail that escaped from the aquarium).  I think that is why I love things like teacher blogs and Teachers Pay Teachers.   It gives us a place to share and collaborate with teachers around the country and around the world.  I love seeing what others are doing and incorporating their ideas into my plans.  I cannot tell you how much time I spend on the brilliant blog -
stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/ .  Today we started teaching time in math and I was so glad that I had her time unit to help get it started.  I have to admit I sort of HATE teaching time.  This packet helps a lot,  but will say I will be very happy when all my little peeps can tell time and stop asking me when lunch is!

Today in class, we worked on communities - rural, suburban and urban.   I created this little freebie that I put on TpT to help determine who was getting it and who wasn't. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rural-Suburban-and-Urban-Flip-Book-FREEBIE
 
We are also creating our own little town with milk cartons from the cafeteria, and construction paper.  We are starting out small - a rural area, and building up daily, adding stores, more homes, gas stations, etc. By the end of the week we will have a big urban city.   I will post pictures as we go! 
 
 
Hope you had a fabulous day!
 




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment