Image Map

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Be Afraid, Be VERY Afraid!

Halloween on a Wednesday is not a teacher's dream come true.   I almost wish it was still the 80's and we were able to dress up and have a parade and eat candy all day like when I was a kid.   At least then WILD and CRAZY would be acceptable.  But alas,  it is not the 80's... and we will be working the curriculum hard core tomorrow despite the giggles and planning about what everyone will be wearing and where everyone will be going.  So I am going in well prepared...

Tomorrow we will be writing up a storm but it will be fun!  First we will be blogging about why kids should or should not be allowed to wear costumes to school on Halloween.  We use Kidblog.org and my kids are blog-o-maniacs.   I love that they can read and respond to each other in real time and I think this activity will be perfect for that.

We are reading Stellaluna because it is about bats and because it ties in perfectly with our unit on sound in science, and oh yeah, because it is the cutest book ever.   We have talked about the differences between birds and bats, and sequenced the story, and looked up vocabulary words in the dictionary.   So tomorrow we are going to be doing a little writing.  We are going to write from Mother Bird and Mother Bat's point of view.   Students will write a letter to Mother Bird thanking her for taking care of Stellaluna and explaining her behavior and Mother Bird will write her back.    I am super excited to see what they come up with.  I made a really simple template that is free on TpT.  Go grab it if you LOVE Stellaluna like I do!


 
 
In the afternoon,  we will be up and moving with this great activity from Amy Lemons...

 
 

She has them up FREE right now - so go get them!  stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com/ .

I am going to be brave and face tomorrow prepared!  Let's hope I have some energy left to take my four very favorite children trick or treating tomorrow night!  I hope you have a Happy Halloween!






Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment