Image Map

Friday, May 24, 2013

Five for Friday!

I have not blogged for a while.    We have had a case of what I can only assume was the bubonic plague go through our house.  Every one of us has had it now but most of us are finally feeling better.  Thank God!    I have been busy trying to keep up with the laundry and catching up on sleep.  But Five for Friday seems like a great reason to get back to it!


I have also been trying to learn to sew.   I might not have mentioned that I didn't know how when I insisted that I get a new sewing machine for Mothers Day.   My sweet husband,  having known me for 21 years and never having seen me sew a stitch,  did question me when I told him what I wanted.  I looked at him incredulously and just re-asked the question,  "do I sew?".   Of course, the answer was no,  but I kept that to myself.    I have not sewn since I was in home ec. in the eighth grade and I was very bad at it then.   In fact,  my very weird interesting teacher told me that my purple duffle bag looked like,  "a piece of puke".   She was not one to hold back to spare the feelings of her students so much.     But as I do,   I believe that anything on Pinterest is within my reach, so I have been working at it.   A lot.     Here are a few pics of things I have been working on.



This week has been very stessful.   The Moore tragedy has been heavily on my heart.   I have had a hard time even wrapping my mind around it.   The following day,  we had tornado watch warnings all day and some strong storms blow through. The kids were very upset and we were all on edge.   We were so thankful that our storms did not live up to the hype.   I hate tornado season here.   Hate it!

Thankfully the next day was full of sunshine!   It was my favorite day of the year in my district.   Each year,  we host the Special Olympics.   My son Grant,  is an athlete.    It was such a special day for our family and so many others.  Our boy was so proud of his medals and enjoyed every second of being in the spotlight. 



We have less than two weeks left of this year!   I am getting a little emotional about saying good-bye to my kids.... but excited for summer!


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. OH.. MY.. Gawd! I am *sew* impressed with your owl pillows, and in such a short amount of time! I have a machine but I haven't done much beyond sewing curtains and PLAIN pillows. Those. are. ADORABLE!

    If I had a daughter, I'd be sewing up a storm! Maybe I can find a reason to tackle new projects anyway.

    Great to FIND you via your comment. Thanks!
    :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi!
    I am so happy that I found you through the linky! Your blog is absolutely adorable! And those OWL pillows! Are you making more? Please sell them. I will buy them!!! So happy to be your newest follower!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be making more - great way to use up scraps - but they are still pretty rough! Maybe I will sell them when I get a little better! Thanks!
      Heidi

      Delete
  3. Hi Heidi,

    Go ahead and use that goldfish idea - I definitely didn't come up with it myself! We are walking the red carpet at my school's awards ceremony this week. There is an actual red carpet for the kids to walk down in the gym after I announce their end of year awards. I don't know why the button isn't working to become a follower on my blog. I know I just got a couple new followers this week, so maybe it's a temporary glitch.

    Excellent sewing skills! I am following you now :)

    Rebecca
    Ladybugs Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hopped over from Doodle Bugs linky...what a lovely blog! I too think I can sew, but I've been known to end off projects with a healthy blob from the glue gun to stick it together!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! The glue gun in a main staple in my craft box too!
      Heidi

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness! Grant is such a cutie! I think for someone who hasn't sewn before, you are off to a great beginning! I have been "entertaining" the idea of getting a sewing machine also. It has been years, years and years since I sewn, but you have encouraged me to pursue it! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your owls are so cute! Have fun with your new machine. (I sew on a 1969 Singer. When my daughter wanted a new machine, she found one just like mine on eBay! Now we both use vintage machines.). Your kids & blog are cute. I'm your newest follower!
    Linda
    Kindergartendoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete